Friday 24 June 2011

How I Lost Weight and still got to work on time!

My Diet, How to Lose Weight (even when your short of time)

I've always been someone who thinks- how to lose weight without exercise?

I know exercise is good for you, but I don't like it! I have however lost a couple of stone over the last year or so, I lost most weight in the first four weeks, then kept the weight off. Then I do a holiday diet, a few weeks before I go away- everyone needs a good bikini diet! If I've overdone it I can go back to eating healthy meals for a couple of weeks and feel great again! 
I thought I'd share some recipes, taken from various diets and adapted to make preparation quicker. I work full-time, so I don't have time to start the day making a complex breakfast and prepare a packed lunch too. So here is what I tried and it worked for me.

I'm not a dietitian, nor am I a doctor- if you are thinking of dieting it's recommended to check with your GP first.

Quick Diet Workday Breakfast Recipes:
I have to admit to never having breakfasts in the past, but after trying it I'd never go back to rushing to work on an empty stomach!

I try to start the day with a glass of warm water with a slice of lemon (not essential but I really like it)
I also have a coffee every morning with SKIMMED MILK (I'm sure cutting out the caffeine would be a good thing but that's not gonna happen)

Breakfast Recipe 1: Scrambled Eggs on Toast
1 Slice of brown or wholemeal toast with scrambled eggs.
This really doesn't take long at all, whilst the toast is toasting I’d beat 2 eggs and add a splash of SKIMMED MILK and seasoning (easy on the salt) microwave for 1 min then beat with a fork, pop back in the microwave on full power for 1 min. (or a bit longer for firmer eggs)
That's it. Put the egg on the toast and I have a quick tasty breakfast. I also add a raw or grilled tomato and grilled mushroom when I have the time.
This is so quick that I have it quite often, I'm sure that it is best to vary your breakfast though.
When I have more time, scrambled eggs are better made in pan and I'd add parsley or chives!

Breakfast Recipe 2: Bacon and Mushroom Muffin
I toast one wholemeal breakfast muffin, and grill one slice of lean bacon and a large mushroom until cooked. Put the bacon and the mushroom in the muffin (add sauce but not mayo) and go! If cooking bacon in the morning is going to be too time consuming I grill it the night before, store in the fridge then zap in the microwave in the morning (making sure it's piping hot) before I stick it in the muffin!

Breakfast Recipe 3: Muesli & Yogurt
A small low fat pot of yogurt, 50g of sugar free muesli, I chop a couple of different fruits (I like banana & kiwi) and chuck them all into a bowl and that's it. I'd also use frozen raspberries or maybe raisins if I have no fresh fruit. If I'm in a hurry I pop it all into a tupperware cup and eat en-route to work, you could even do this the night before.

Breakfast Recipe 4: Peanut butter on toast
2x slices of brown or wholemeal toast with peanut butter on- simple. I have a glass of fruit juice too.

Breakfast Recipe 5: Chocolate Croissant
Cut a low reduced fat croissant in half and warm in the grill then spread with a teaspoon of chocolate spread................ YUM! If you’re in a rush, it doesn’t even have to be hot but it tastes much better warmed up! Although this one is quick and tastes GOOD it doesn't fill me up for long so I'd have it with a glass of orange.
Breakfast Recipe 6: Grilled Breakfast
OK, so that's the working week done, as a Saturday treat I have a Grilled Breakfast:
1 grilled rasher of lean bacon
1 grilled reduced fat or vegi sausage
1 grilled tomato
1 grilled flat mushroom
1 fried or poached egg (if frying use spray oil)
1 slice of brown toast.


Sunday: Beans on Toast
Half a tin of beans on 2 slices of brown toast!



Quick Working Lunch Diet Recipes
I try to take my lunch to work with me, but there will always be the times I either forget to pick my lunch up or don't have time to make it at all, if I do have to buy lunch out I get a sandwich with no mayo.
I try to make a sandwich or wrap the night before and keep it in the fridge. I also take 2 pieces of fruit with me to eat during the day.

I make either a tortilla wrap, a sandwich with 2 slices of brown bread or a small bun (about 50g) with the following fillings:
  1. 2x slices of turkey with salad and low fat salad cream
  2. 2x slices of ham with low fat cream cheese spread and salad
  3. 2x slices of beef with mustard and salad
  4. 2x slices of chicken with salad and low fat salad cream
  5. Half a tin of tuna (or salmon) with salad and red onion, either with low fat salad cream or a squeeze of lemon.

Or I take to work, a 300ml tin of minestrone soup with a small bun. (I check the ingredients of the soup to make sure it has lots of beans in)
I've seen a few healthy eating plans with salads and pasta salads for lunch, but I rarely have the time to make them for work. Great if you have the time, I'd just say with all of the lunch sarnies and salads- watch out for the mayo, and only use a small amount of low fat salad cream!!!

So, that's the working lunches at the weekend when I have more time I like to have:
Tuna Pasta and Beans Diet Recipe
Cook 70g of pasta (I try to use brown pasta but it doesn't matter really)
In a large bowl mix half a tin of tuna, chopped red onion, tomatoes, and add a drained (small) tin of three bean mix. Squeeze in the juice of a lemon and add the cooked pasta, throw in some chopped fresh parsley or basil f you have any. You can eat this warm or cold and I'd also have a green salad with it.

Prawn Tattie Salad
You need about 150g of cooked potatoes, chopped into cubes. Add a tablespoon of low fat greek (or natural) yogurt and a tablespoon of low fat salad cream.  About 50g of cooked prawns, a chopped tomato and some chopped spring onion. Add some black ground pepper and mix together. Serve with some spinach leaves. You can swap the prawns for tuna, ham or 40g of reduced fat cheese.

The recipes have come from different diets and have been adapted to be made as easily as possible. Each is one serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment