Wednesday 4 April 2012

Bank balance diet....

So, my mortgage is on the up. Water rates have gone up, tv licence increase. April brings such disappointing post. I'd like a nice letter next please mr postman!

The delightful pending summer holiday not only means trying to achieve a leaner waist but also means saving some cash to spend on hols. I opted not to shop online this week, to try the local butcher and green grocer to save some pennies.

Veg: defo cheaper than the supermarket but less choice. I did get some gapes and blueberries at a fraction of the cost of the supermarket. It was a bit crazy really, some things literally only cost pence! Two full bags of fruit and veg for less than a tenner!

Butchers: bought some minted pork chops that were both cheap and tasty and without much fat. I also picked up some chicken breasts and intended to eat them on Sunday. I found myself out with friends instead on Sunday so didn't cook the chicken.... A day later... I checked some food standards website and it says that fresh chicken can be kept in the fridge for 1-2 days! Oooops shopping at the butchers FAIL!! I didn't check on the Internet how long the chicken was safe to eat until AFTER I had a pot of chicken soup bubbling away. The chicken didn't look off or ruined or smell bad but I wasn't going to risk it.

So although the meat was cheaper at the butchers I actually wasted money when I had to throw the chicken out. Hmmm lesson learnt I'll probably stick to the supermarket for meat from now on.


No comments:

Post a Comment